[Harp-L] Brendan and Vern

bren@xxxxx bren@xxxxx
Fri Jan 18 04:41:58 EST 2019

Thanks for those interesting assessments of the various possibilities
for making reedplates Tom. Like you, I have put making reeds and
reedplates into the 'too hard' category - for now at least.

But since the superfine reed/slot tolerances obtainable through hand
customising
have not yet been achieved with present manufacturing methods, there
remains the potential to improve by some technological step that will
give us custom grade reedplates out of the box. That would be
something! After nearly 200 years of harmonica making, surely in the
21st century we can make that step? I live in hope...

Harp-L is a wonderful forum, the oldest and the best in many ways. The
only thing I would wish is that you can go back and edit posts, for
typos, fixing mistakes, and also moderating intemperate language in
the light of later reflection...

I wished for that editing function in one if my recent posts to Vern,
which was a bit strong! But, as John Paul Getty used to say, 'Oils
well that ends swell'.

(Actually he didn't, I just made it up, but you get the drift).

Nice to be chatting on this great old list with clever, experienced
people of different hues and views. Thanks to those who keep it going
:-)

Brendan