[Harp-L] Has anyone laser-cut harmonicas?

Richard Trafford-Owen richard@xxxxx
Wed Jan 16 14:36:34 EST 2019

Does anyone know what has been tried? With laser cutting and etching I
imagine it would be possible to:
- Create reeds and plates that are very closely tolerance-matched
- Control the thickness profile of the reeds over their length (and width
for that matter)
- Mount the reed inset below the surface of the reed plate and maybe
control the angle between reed plate and reed
- Explore different reed shapes e.g. trapezium versus rectangle

I think Harrison was trying something, but that was long ago,

I enjoy seeing cordial debate and scepticism. Relative to many other
instruments, the physics of harmonicas does not seem as well understood, so
there is much to explore and learn. The diatonic harmonica also has
fundamental limitations to be overcome or bypassed and it is interesting to
me to see all the creative ideas that surface to move us forwards!