[Harp-L] New Tool and Method for Improving Harmonica Reed Response

bren@xxxxx bren@xxxxx
Mon Jan 14 09:43:04 EST 2019

Ah, Vern! Everyone else has been very positive about this idea, but it's nice to know you are remaining true to your rigorously sceptical self 😊

You make a good point about the opposing reed being a significant area of air leakage. However, you seem to forget something rather crucial in this regard: the opposing reed will have had the same gap reduction treatment...

With both the active and opposing reed having smaller gaps, air loss with my method (and the traditional reed lowering/re-curving approach), plus slot embossing on the lower 2/3 of the reed sides and tip, is greatly reduced. The result is that the reeds play far better than on a stock reedplate.

This is not subjective, it is obvious to anyone who compares a stock reedplate with a well customised one. If it were not happening, there would not be the market for $300-$500 Marine Bands that has been in existence for the past 20 years...

If you insist on proving it scientifically, then by all means do your bubble test on a stock vs. well customised reedplate to confirm it to yourself. I'm sure you will find there is a measurable difference in the bubble factor.

Like the vast majority of players, I don't need to do such tests - I can feel the difference as soon as I play a single note. The vast improvement in reed response is what makes it worthwhile to do this extra work.

Brendan Power
www.x-reed.com
www.brendan-power.com
www.youtube.com/brendanpowermusic

-----Original Message-----
From: Vern <jevern at xxxxx>
Sent: 14 January 2019 07:49
To: Brendan Power <bren at xxxxx>
Cc: harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] New Tool and Method for Improving Harmonica Reed Response

I question this method based on the following:

The reduction in leakage achieved by embossing or nail polish is minuscule with respect to other sources of leakage.

The rationales for embossing are to narrow the slot clearances to reduce breath leakage and possibly to make the pressure cutoff more sudden as the reed enters the slot...thus altering the tone. I question both rationales, but will argue to refute only leakage.

In a diatonic, the leakage through the opening reed in the same chamber is vastly greater than any leakage reduction achieved by narrowing the reed clearances.  In a chromatic, the leakage through the slide clearance is vastly greater than the leakage reduction achieved from narrowing the reed clearance.  In either case, it is like weatherstripping the window while the door stands open.  The reduction in leakage is an imperceptibly small part of the total.

The disadvantage is that the reed can be jammed by smaller particles.

To demonstrate this, I glued a straw to one hole of a diatonic and placed tape over the tip of the blow reed.  This left the areas under discussion along the sides of the reed open.  Then I submerged the instrument without covers in water and blew through the straw.  The stream of bubbles from the draw reed was very much larger than the stream coming through the blow reed clearances.  I concluded that  reduction  (not elimination) of the leakage around the base of a reed has a negligible effect on the total leakage. This isn’t difficult to do if you wish to check my results.

After a person goes to the trouble of embossing and/or applying nail polish, he wishes to and expects to experience an improvement in responsiveness…and he subjectively will.  A valid blind test would involve several harmonicas some modified and some not.  Then the player or listener would be required to record his impressions of responsiveness for many playings of randomly selected  instruments.

Harmonica players can be completely confident of being able to discern effects from small differences (e.g. comb materials) but unable to demonstrate that ability under controlled conditions.

Vern