[Harp-L] 2nd and Third position backing rhythm

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Mon Jan 7 13:23:55 EST 2019

Bob Piscura wrote:
> I need ideas on how to play "backing rhythm" for some songs. Examples of
> 3rd position songs are.. All along the watchtower, can't find my way home,
> do it again,  2nd position songs .. Don't do me like that,Petty.....
That's
> life, Sinatra.
>
> Any tried and true patterns that fit 3rd position?  I've scoured YouTube
> with no real hits.

As Robert Hale pointed out, the issue with 3rd position rhythm work is that
there aren't a lot of usable chords, and rhythm work generally is about
chords.  You can use your tongue/hands/etc. to play any rhythmic pattern on
any instrument, but if you don't have some kind of chords in the picture it
comes across as a lead line, not a rhythmic accompaniment.

A simple solution is to get a Natural Minor harp and use all the tricks you
learned in 2nd position to play rhythms on the natural minor.  That'll work
straight out of the box.  Keep in mind that LO natural Minor harps are
named for the key in 2nd position, so if you want to play second position
in A minor you need an A Natural Minor harp.

A more complex solution is to use various effects to adds harmonies and
bulk up the tone on the harp you're playing in third position, but that's
far from ideal.

Regards, Richard Hunter
--
Check out Richard Hunter's 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The
Lucky One" at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)