[Harp-L] The NY Times 1619 Project (slavery history)

philharpn@xxxxx philharpn@xxxxx
Mon Dec 23 05:46:36 EST 2019

If anyone is interested in the pdf for the New York Times special project called The 1619 Project (which marks the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the first enslaved Africans to Jamestown, Virginia) that ran in the paper last August, in the Sunday Magazine and a broadsheet section, here is the page: on the Pulitzer Center site.  The site also has pdfs of a Reading Guide for the project essays and creative works.
Since I just finished printing out the sheets, I don't know what they said. I was at SPAH last summer when these items were printed in the paper, so I didn't get a copy.

<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/magazine/letter-to-the-editor-historians-critique-the-1619-project-and-we-respond.html>

I do know that a few professors took issue with the accuracy of the series and the times editor refuted their arguments. Such issues as Lincoln's changing position on slavery; one of the main reasons the colonies broke away from England: the English wanted to free their slaves and English courts had already ruled to free an American slave in England

<https://pulitzercenter.org/builder/lesson/reading-guide-quotes-key-terms-and-questions-26504>
see resource overview: on the right side of the page