[Harp-L] Cheap Harp Set

George Miklas harmonicat@xxxxx
Thu Dec 5 23:13:00 EST 2019

Gary and Joe,
I agree with both of you, in part. Hohner advertises harmonicas made in
several countries. But the only handmade Hohner harmonicas are made in
Germany. When this topic comes up, as it does quite often, it is easy to
give opinions that point people to only buy and play the German-made
Hohners. In a way, it's not really that simple. Three common model names of
Hohner harmonicas are (1) Blues Band, (2) Blues Bender, and (3) Blues Harp.
Lets compare these.

Country of Origin
Blues Band and Blues Bender are made in China.
Blues Harp is made in Germany.

MSRP
Blues Band $9.50,
Blues Bender $31,
Blues Harp $65.

It's my humble opinion that the Blues Bender is the best harp that Hohner
imports from China, and the price difference kind of supports my opinion.

When I teach large harmonica classes, I give away Blues Band (or Clearly
Colorful) harps because, obviously, they are the cheapest. But when a start
a beginner in private 1:1 lessons, I recommend the Blues Bender. My
rationale is simple... I know that a new player is going to make mistakes.
He is going to blow too hard and draw too hard and he is even going to try
to stick his finger in the holes (well not really, but he might stick a
pencil in there). I know that the first harmonica is going to be a guinea
pig.

But with that said, I don't want my beginner to have the cheapest harp with
the least amount of handwork in gap setting. So for me, the Blues Bender is
really the best choice for the beginner's first harp.  Finally, it's my own
humble opinion that the China-made Blues Bender Harps play *almost *as good
as the German-made Special 20 Harps, but with a significant difference in
price.

George
*GEORGE MIKLAS  **www.GeorgeMiklas.com <http://www.georgemiklas.com/>*
*Harmonica Gallery www.HarmonicaGallery.com