[Harp-L] Cheap Harp Set

philharpn@xxxxx philharpn@xxxxx
Thu Dec 5 14:36:19 EST 2019

I prefer the Blues Band. I have the set of 7 and they work fine. I also have used Blues Band in C for my Harmonica 101 class several times -- when I could get them.The Piedmont has a plastic cover --which makes it hard to slide, while the Blues Band is metal and slides easily. Both come with nice cases. And if you don't like the harp, throw them away and fill the case with Marine Bands! I also love my Suzuki and Seydel valved harps--but I can only spend $5 -10 on student harps for a class when the main criterion is that the harp works.
I have many cheap and expensive harmonicas of every brand that I have acquired over the years. Most new harp players wouldn't know an expensive harmonica from a cheap one, ever afater playing each for an hour. That's because they don't know what they're doing.
A cheap set like the Blues Band 7 or Piedmont 7 is a great way to get seven different harps without spending a fortune for something (a set of harps) that you might not want next week. These sets cost $30-40. Which is a nice price to play to try out seven different keys. Then if you like the sound of A or Bb--buy a Seydel or Suzuki or upscale Marine Band.

My feeling about Hohner starter or entry level harps is that I think Hohner cares about the quality of the Blues Band and Piedmont (identical except for covers) because if they sell crappy cheap harps--nobody will ever buy another Hohner regardless how much everybody else brags about them.
Unlike a trumpet, most stores will not let you try out a harp.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Sprankle via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Dec 5, 2019 8:28 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Cheap Harp Set

Anyone have any advice on which set of cheap harps is the best:  Hohner Peidmont Blues, Hohner Blues Band, Fender Blues Deluxe, or something else?  A friend wants to buy a beginner a set and asked for my recommendation.  I had a Blues Band in C 20 or so years ago, and it was a decent harp for a cheapy.  I've never played the Peidmont or Blues Deluxe.

Thanks!