[Harp-L] How much is enough?

Steve moorcot@xxxxx
Thu Aug 8 18:10:50 EDT 2019

Howdy Aongus

I found that most sessioneers who could actually tune their instruments on the hoof used cheapie tuners that gave them equal temperament tuning, and they'd tune to "concert pitch," A440. All the decent harmonicas I've ever bought seem to hover around A442, which I think it's ideal for us in sessions. What isn't ideal is harps tuned away from equal temperament. I've used Lee Oskars and Suzuki harps that come in that tuning, and I love 'em.  With Hohner SP20s I always tweaked the harp to equal. Oddly, if I played one that I hadn't tweaked it grated so much with me that it affected my playing, yet, if I listened back to recordings of our playing, I couldn't hear those horrid flat thirds, etc, at all.

In a nutshell, equal temperament at around A442 gave me the least grief!

Cheers

Steve