[Harp-L] Blues Harmonica LPs in the 1960s

Peter Madcat Ruth madcat@xxxxx
Tue Apr 16 15:20:53 EDT 2019

I started playing harmonica in 1964, and back then there were very few LPs which featured blues harmonica.

I started playing harmonica because I heard Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee on the radio.  By 1964 Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee had already released several LPs.  One of my prized possessions is the 10" LP by Sonny Terry called Harmonica And Vocal Solos, recorded for Folkways Records, released in 1952.

By 1964 Chess Records had already released:
Little Walter - Best of Little Walter (1958)
Howlin’ Wolf - Moanin’ In The Moonlight (1958)
Sonny Boy Williamson - Down and Out Blues (1959)

These LPs were released in 1965:
Jr. Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues - Delmark Records
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Electra Records
Howlin’ Wolf - The Real Folk Blues - Chess Records

These LPs were released in 1966:
The Siegel–Schwall Band - The Siegel–Schwall Band - Vanguard Records
John Mayall - Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton - Decca Records
Sonny Boy Williamson - The Real Folk Blues - Chess Records
Muddy Waters - The Real Folk Blues - Chess Records
The collection - Chicago The Blues Today, Vol. 1  (with Jr. Wells) - Vanguard Records
The collection - Chicago The Blues Today, Vol. 2  (with James Cotton) - Vanguard Records
The collection - Chicago The Blues Today, Vol. 1  (with Walter Horton) - Vanguard Records

These LPs were released in 1967:
Sonny Boy Williamson - More Real Folk Blues - Chess Records
Charley Musselwhite - Stand Back! Here Comes Charley Musselwhite's Southside Band - Vanguard Records
Rod Piazza - The Dirty Blues Band - ABC-Bluesway
Howlin’ Wolf - More Real Folk Blues - Chess Records
James Cotton - The James Cotton Blues Band - Verve Records

These LPs were released in 1968:
Charlie McCoy - The Real McCoy - Monument Records
Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal - Columbia Records

My first recording was with
New Heavenly Blue - Educated Homegrown - RCA Records - 1970

That's my history lesson for today...

Peter Madcat Ruth