[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Tue Oct 30 16:20:19 EDT 2018

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Laurent Vigouroux <laurent.vigouroux at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Some-joe wrote:
> "The only problem I have with this subject is that I know several people who can elucidate on and on about positions, modes, scales, structures. Mixolodian, Fridgedaireian,
> Acrophobian, etc., but they can’t play. I mean, ok, yeah, they can play but they don’t ‘have it’. In an effort to not be too uncharitable I hesitate to use the word boring, so I will try bland. Sometimes I think players pay too much attention to the hole and not the donut. "
>
> This is true this often happens. But I'm not sure this is the case in this thread.

No, not in this thread. Just an observation of mine. Compiled over time. Some players seem to try and force their playing to conform to rigid structure. They play notes, but while the structure
may be correct, the feeling isn’t there. I place a lot of stock in feeling. If you go back 9,390 years in my book of ‘timeline of civilization’, we find exquisite works of art. Done by people who were,
for lack of a better term, backward and as dumb as Jambon sandwich. But they had feeling.

> To talk about the ones I know (sorry for the other ones), David Herzhaft and Jérôme Peyrelevade music is at the same time elaborated, well played and inspired.

Absolutely, I love them. And it’s a rare instance where a player can put out 25 tunes (in a row) and each and every one is tasteful and amazing. Btw, I consider Jerome one of those. Some players
considered great? I can get through maybe 2 tunes and I’ve had it. Maybe it’s my own personal taste. I seem to gravitate to European players more than others. Could be genetic? Maybe the thousands
of years of ‘family squabble’ wars and the angst and misery they caused comes out in the DNA? I dunno. I’m just a plebian… :)

> It might please you or not of course (matter of taste), but they do produce good music.

Oh wow, are you kidding? They sure do.

smo-joe