[Harp-L] Overblows aren't crap!

Laurent Vigouroux laurent.vigouroux@xxxxx
Tue Oct 30 10:12:35 EDT 2018

Jaguire wrote:
"The fact of the matter,  the emperor's new clothes notwithstanding, is that a nice well crafted harp sounds beautiful only when played to its strengths and within its limitations. "
It's a matter of taste. I totally respect your taste.

" What i am trying to say here is that overblows sound like crap.  Overblows sound like crap. They stick out like a sore thumb as lousy unpleasant timbre and out of tune. I've heard howard levy and carlos del junco live numerous times. Overblows are a delusion. "
Actually, no. This is not true and this is a fact.
You do need proper technique to make overblows sound good. But when you have the proper technique, overblow can sound quite well.
Listen to Sébastien Charlier or Jérôme Peyrelevade. I bet you won't be able at all to spot the overblows in their playing. And there are lots of them.

I'm a pure amateur, but I'm not sure you will spot the overblows in a tune I composed 2 years ago either. It's far, far from perfect. There are lots of defaults in this tune, especially pitch inaccuracies I do hear today that my ear has a bit improved (I need to record this tune again!), but I would not say my overblows sound like crap or are a delusion.  Are they?
https://soundcloud.com/laurent-vigouroux/blues-in-the-key-of-l-1

And what about this tune where there is an overblow on a very strong note of the melody?
https://soundcloud.com/laurent-vigouroux/et-je-lappelle-encore-1

Again I'm a pure amateur. Pros do far better than that.

What do you think?
Happy harpin'

Laurent