[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

Laurent Vigouroux laurent.vigouroux@xxxxx
Fri Oct 26 13:37:24 EDT 2018

Excellent explanation about the modes!

Regarding the positions, I'd say harmonica players would benefit from leaving it behind,  learning harmony and using a transposition concept: say for example that playing in C dorien on a Bb harp is equivalent to playing D dorian on a C harp.
There is a tune in C dorian but I don't know the scale? I know well D dorian on a C harp?
Ok I switch harps and it transposes naturally.

Saying Am on a C harp is 4th position or Em on a C harp is 5th doesn't really make sense. What minor are we referring to? Actually we are referring to modes (respectively aeolian and phrygian), which implies that we only consider the notes of C major. But all the notes are available on a C harp!

I may sound picky and stupid, but I really think the concept of positions prevent lots of harmonica players from learning harmony and adventuring beyond the I7, IV7 and V7 chords. Even if one doesn't master the overblows, he would largely benefit from learning harmony and use the harp in the key that proposes the best sounding notes.

Of course, this is much less important for harpers who only play classic blues. For them, positions really are useful.

And anyway, everyone does what he likes (

Laurent