[Harp-L] 4th position

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Thu Oct 25 15:10:06 EDT 2018

   When I studied briefly with Howard Levy in the 80's, he was teaching the
standard "Autumn Leaves" in 4th.  And also "Summertime".  When I worked in
bands, I did "Moondance" and "Work Song" in 4th.  I always thought "Take 5"
was very workable in that position also.
   At the SPAH blues jams, I usually use a G harp in the key of E several
times during an evening for regular non-minor blues tunes.  Or a low F harp
in D, a low Eb harp for C, and an Ab harp for F.  Over the years I've had
Jimi Lee, Mark Hummel, and I think a young kid who might have been Conor
from our list asking about it.  I find a lot of my cross harp riffs and 3rd
position riffs transcribe over to 4th pretty easily.  Again, in my opinion,
4th is the most underused practical blues position out there.

Mick Zaklan