[Harp-L] Carey pulls nice little trick at min, 6:15

Peter Sheridan jukejelly@xxxxx
Sat Nov 24 22:34:58 EST 2018

     I've heard this same effect on at least one of Carey's LPs. It
definitely sounds like an electro-effect, and in my view detracts from his
talented playing. I had the pleasure of seeing him perform in person a
couple of times, once with Willie Dixon's All-Stars back in the early1970s
in Pittsburgh, PA in a large theatre, and again in the mid 1980s with his
own band, on a double bill with Louisiana Red in State College, PA in an
intimate bar setting. Both times he was in great form, and this kind of
effect was never in evidence. He did not need it to make an impression on
the audience. And he was dressed to the nines, in a beautiful suit and tie
that wowed the women in the place.
     His set, however, was somewhat overshadowed by Red, who gave one of
the most intense performances I have ever experienced in the course my 50+
years of musical appreciation. Carey's band was the opener, and during
Red's set I sat with Carey and his daughter at the first table in front of
the stage. Red was obviously directing his singing, harp playing and guitar
playing to the young lady, and Carey was a little put off by all the
attention Red was giving to his daughter. But I had caught Carey catching
the approving eye of an elegantly dressed woman when he exited the stage,
so turn about was fair play. It was truly a night of the blues to remember.