[Harp-L] Overblows, Overdraws and the SUB-30 (Michael Rubin)

rosco roscoharp@xxxxx
Fri Nov 16 12:31:21 EST 2018

Hey all, I haven't posted to harp-l for quite a while, but I get the
emails. Lately I see the 'harp in 12 keys' discussion heating up again. I
have been in the 'overblow' school since 1991 or so. I know most of the
cats who were pioneering the usage of OBs and ODs. I'm not as interested
these days in the techniques for getting notes as I am in how they sound in
a musical context, so I may be out of touch with who's doing what re:
playing chromatically on diatonic. There may be hundreds of them playing
great music in out positions. I hope there are! Still, I have only heard
half a dozen or so play with any facility in positions 7 through 10. Some
folks have 'set pieces' that they have memorized to play in 12 keys, but I
personally don't consider that 'facility'. Howard can do it, but even he
sounds more interesting to me when he plays positions that exploit the
strengths of the tune/position relationship. Outside of gimmick pieces that
are purposely written to show off the 12 key ability, there are very few
songs that require it. Jazz is full of tunes that modulate to remote keys,
so SOME 12 position facility is necessary to improvise jazz on a richter
diatonic.  Playing some licks in 12 keys is only a small part of playing
with facility. Can folks play major, minor, outline hard to hear jazz
chords, etc.? I've only heard it done a few times, but again, maybe there
are dozens of folks doing it. If so I'd like to hear clips! Again, although
they can be impressive, I don't consider memorized pieces as playing with
facility. The obvious exception is classical music. Who's doing that on
diatonic?
--
Later,
Ron 'Rosco' Selley