[Harp-L] Overblows

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Thu Nov 15 23:22:35 EST 2018

I always try to be charitable..IF I can. Or maybe diplomatic. Yes there may be occasions when a person uses overblows to show off.
BUT I kinda see it this way. More than likely a person is using the overblows to show that they have paid their dues and in an ever
increasing competitive world, these players are making a case that they have done the work and done the mileage to prospective gig
providers. And therefore getting gigs through a display of (possibly) higher qualifications.

See I have always believed that you are not paying a musician for WHAT they can do. You are paying them for EFFORT spent in practice
time. Which in most cases amounts to years. And not just a couple hours of gig.

In the 7 decades that I have listened to harmonica players, and keeping in mind that if the lifetime of harmonica was only one year, overblows
didn’t (really) appear till Dec. 11th. I hear overblows and most of the time the timbre is like my left arm. It isn’t right and it isn’t fair. So to speak.
But I certainly admire those who can pull it off. AND do it consistently. If I were ever to seek a player as an expert on overblows, there are a few
right here on this list. But most fall short and should refrain from doing them in public until such time as they sound like a Jerome or ????

The greatest thing you will ever learn is just to love..and be loved in return. Play on. :)

Love….smo-joe