[Harp-L] Larry Adler

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Thu Nov 15 13:51:27 EST 2018

   I was fortunate enough to catch Larry working live maybe 15 times,
mostly during his two long engagements at the now defunct Tango restaurant
in Chicago.  His stories took up a lot of his set.  On one hand, he was a
very principled guy who you wouldn't expect to tell lies.  On the other
hand, he viewed writing, music, and joke-telling as crafts and probably
wouldn't have hesitated to change something around to make it "go over"
better to an audience.
   I recall that when he played SPAH, his brother Jerry told a story about
himself that I remember Larry attributing to himself.  And both brothers
were there!  Don't remember the story, but I was stunned that each was
using the same tale.
   To me, Larry is the guy who put the harmonica on the map as an
instrument that people had to take seriously.  Just as Coleman Hawkins made
the tenor sax a serious and popular solo instrument as opposed to something
used in marching bands.  Just as Andres Segovia made the guitar into
something that could handle serious classical music instead of merely a
folk instrument used to accompany singers.  In a sense, he's the father of
our instrument.
   At the Tango, Larry and I chatted several times and I can tell you his
ego was considerable.  I'm sure it rubbed some people wrong, but I found it
humorous and part of the guy's charm.  I feel fortunate that my life
overlapped his a bit and I got a chance to see him work.

Mick Zaklan