[Harp-L] Overblows

Jerome P. jersimuse@xxxxx
Wed Nov 14 11:39:45 EST 2018

Hi Rick,

I do use only a harmonica in C, for my concerts as well as for my albums.
It's not a "psycho-regidity" of mine, I find it very interesting to use the
opportunity of having a transposing instrument.
But over the years, I now find it easier for me to improvize on a single
harp.
For 3 reasons :
1. I hear each single note on it before playing it, which is not the case
when you change harp regularly
2. I know exactly how it reacts so I am more in control for each note &
each lick
3. The only reason to change harp for me would be if something is much
easier on another tonality but this is much more rare than one think

Concerning recordings, my album Somewhere on the Edge of Time, is fully
played with a harmonica in C.
All the tunes are in different keys & they modulate several times each, so
all 12 keys have been played, for sure.
I've also recorded a CD for a saxophonist (Antonio Valdes), with a
harmonica in C (and I can tell you Antonio doesn't care about which
harmonica I use, he only cares about what he hears from me, and he is
especially focused on pitch precision).

If I may be a bit opportunist, you'll find these albums on my web site & on
iTunes.

You'll also find some examples of different key working sessions or tunes
on my youtube channel : www.youtube.com/JersiMuse

You should also listen to guys like David Herzhaft & Sebastien Charlier,
who also play mostly (exclusively ?) on a C harmonica.

Best regards,

Jerome
www.jeromepeyrelevade.com