[Harp-L] Overblows

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Tue Nov 13 18:00:33 EST 2018

I'd be very interested to hear from committed overblowers as to whether
they use only one harp, in twelve keys, or if differnt keyed harps are
still used.
It would be also interesting to know just how many examples of different
keys/positions people have recorded.
When Howard Levy was here in Oz a few years back, I recall him citing and
demonstrating a tune that suited B on the C diatonic. I don't think it was
a tune I was familiar with.
In my experience, the C harp is the most useful for OBs. Much higher starts
getting pretty hairy, esopecially on overdraws; and much lower, the reverse
applies - try overblowing hole one on a G harp. All this just my own
experience of around forty years of 'overblowing'. I have lately abandoned
the technique as much as possible, much preferring the tone of
(over-valved) Sub30s, about which I hear no discussion at all. I see
Christelle Brereton enthusing over them, however.
RD