[Harp-L] Jazzy blues exercise for playing in 12 keys on one harp

David Naiditch davidnaiditch@xxxxx
Sat Nov 3 21:40:29 EDT 2018

In 2012, I posted this YouTube video for playing jazzy blues in all 12 major keys on a C chromatic harmonica.  This exercise can also be used by diatonic harmonica players who play chromatically and want to practice playing in different keys without switching harmonicas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLjIlYM02o <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLjIlYM02o>
This exercise has 2 parts.  In Part 1, I play along through every key using a 12-hole C chromatic.  To encourage players to think creatively, I play slow blues riffs that are not commonly heard on the diatonic harmonica.  In Part 2, it is your turn to play the lead; only the guitar backup is heard.

The exercise transitions through every major key in a circle of 4ths, beginning with the key of G.  Thus, the key changes from G to C to F to Bb to Eb to Ab to Db to Gb to B to E to A to D, then back to G.

A 12-bar blues is played once for each key, separated by 2 bars used to transition to the next key.  Charts show the progression through the keys and the chord changes within each key.  The top arrow points to the key; the bottom arrow points through the chord changes within that key.   Passing chords are not shown.