[Harp-L] Reading Music

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Fri Nov 2 07:42:53 EDT 2018

Personally I sat around watching my mom read music when I was a kid.  She
couldn't improvise.  At the end of my 15th year I bought a harp and spent a
month making sounds.  Then someone taught me to play a single note.  I
pulled out my mom's Simon and Garfunkel songbook and turned to Feeling
Groovy (The 59th Street Bridge Song).  I was able to pick it out by ear.
Luckily for me, the whole book was written in C.  I soon realized every
time I played 6 draw, the music dot was in the same place.  It took me a
lot longer to start calling that A.

I spent a year reading music for a few hours every day.  I knew nothing of
timing or sharps and flats so some of my songs didn't song right.

One day I accidentally bent a note.  I had heard of bending because of
Gindick's Musically Hopeless book but it didn't make any sense.  So then I
read music and every time there was a draw note I bent it.

A week later I suddenly grokked cross harp improvisation.  A month later I
was in a band and have been working ever since.  No kidding.

I believe my ability to understand improvisation was due to reading music.
Because if improvisation is creating melodies, you should study melodies.

I got a chromatic and figured out sharps and flats and got to where I could
read the melodies in my jazz improvisation classes in college and handle
sight singing in choir.  If I was playing by myself and did not know the
song my timing would be out the window.

I had a few songbooks over the years but that was about it until I was 28.
Someone called me to audition for the Houston production of a soon to be
Broadway play.  There was no way I was doing Broadway, that would be a New
York musician.  They just wanted to save money by going local.  Living in
Austin, Houston felt about as local to me as New York.

I did well impressing them at the audition.  But when they asked me to read
music I had no timing and missed the cues.

The interviewer asked me "Can you read music?"

"Yes", I said.

He then asked, "Can you read music?"

"YES!", I said.

I got the gig.  I quit my job, put all my stuff in storage, got rid of my
apartment, took two lessons on reading music from 2 different friends and
spent 2 weeks reading music 8 hours a day.  When I got to Houston I was the
worst reader of the group but I wasn't fired either.  They liked me so much
I got the Broadway chair.  It probably helped that Rob Papparozzi wasn't
available.  Thanks Rob!

On a side note, it was Broadway that got me into theory.  One day a singer
couldn't make it due to being sick.  The understudy couldn't sing in the
standard key so the conductor told us to transpose it to A.  I raised my
hand.

"What key are we in now?"

You could have heard a pin drop.

At that moment I vowed to understand theory and began asking every musician
what was important about theory.

Back to reading.  I understood that timing was my weakest link.  Somehow I
got hip to Louis Bellson's Modern Reading Text in 4/4 time.  This is a
drummer's book that is written music but all of it is on one note, so all
you are reading is the timing.  5 to 8 hours a day for a few years.

I started reading out of the Real Books.

Recently there has been a new development.  In February I was hired to play
with the Austin Opera in January of 2019.  As I have done a few theater
shows, I am well aware that in general you receive the music around a week
before the show begins, because they are under the impression that all
musicians read at the level of symphonic musicians.  Although I have
advised them it would be wise to send me the music asap, they have yet to
do it.

So I bought an advanced classical music book for flute because the range of
a 12 hole chromatic is similar to that of a flute.  I have spent around 30
minutes a day on it.  I know I am improving because I have a gig that I do
every couple of months that is basically 75% reading and it has gotten
easier.  I have also had a great time and would say it has been one of my
biggest joys this year.

I don't think reading (or theory) has hurt my improvisational abilities one
bit.  I think it has helped everything I do.

I don't think reading is necessary for becoming a great improvisor or
musician in general.  It's pretty low on my priority list if someone were
to ask me how to become a high level musician.

As a teacher I rarely suggest reading music until:

1. The student requests learning to read.

2. They've been coming for so long, might as well.

3. There is an element of music, say timing, that they just cannot improve
upon in other ways.  People learn differently.  There is information in
reading music, just like there in information in  reading a book.
Sometimes it clarifies what the student is supposed to DO.  I often say,

"You cannot do the work until you understand the concept.  But
understanding the concept is not doing the work."

(feel free to use that, just credit me.)

BUT what I have discovered is that there is a certain type of student who
took lessons reading music as a child.  Almost always, their relationship
with music is a skittish one.  Improvisation scares the heck out of them.
It is like a shelter dog who was beaten by their previous male owner and
now all men scare it.  This is not an exaggeration.

With lots of love and care this person can learn to be a great improvisor
and enjoy music.  But often, the pain is so great, we revert to learning to
read on the harmonica.  Which is fine.  Everybody should have a connection
to music, imo, and if that is theirs, it is my job to cultivate that.

Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com