[Harp-L] Recording practice sessions

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Fri May 18 18:03:05 EDT 2018

I have a 10-year-old Zoom H4 that I bought for about $300 and a 2-year-old
Zoom H1, Both of them are really great tools for capturing rehearsals and
performances.  Both of them run on standard AA batteries, which are easy to
get anywhere and last a long time in the units. The H1 is about $100, much
less than the H4, and records at the same quality.  The H1 also has a small
speaker built in, so you don't need an external device to hear the stuff
you just recorded. If you want to use external mics with the thing, or
record directly from a console in stereo, the H4 or more-recent H4N is your
best choice, because they have XLR inputs for external mics (and the price
is now $200).  The Zoom H2 does more than the H1, but if you like simple
setup and operation in the field the H1 is the bomb and cheap too.

I've gotten a lot of great recordings out of the Zoom H4 in particular, and
I consider the money I spent on the Zooms to be the best spending I ever
did on recording equipment.

Regards, Richard Hunter

Check out Richard Hunter's 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The
Lucky One" at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)