[Harp-L] Follow Up on Overblow by Mike Rogers

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Tue May 15 17:06:49 EDT 2018

> On May 15, 2018, at 10:35 AM, Greg Jones <greg at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'm very impressed to read about my good friend and customer Mike Rogers
> who is studying under Michael Rubin.

That’s because bullfrog is a good head. :)

> It is practically a matter of offense to suggest that experienced players
> take up private instruction.  And yet, Mike Rogers is doing just that and
> he's surely going to take the joy of music and harmonica to another level.

It IS fairly insulting for someone (say) 74 to take lessons from someone (say) 37. This because the old timer usually feels that they
should already have ‘been there, done that’. The insult is IN themselves. Not aimed towards any teacher. And, just to go on record,
there are people who chose their paths because it was the only one they had at the time. Some could pursue harp, and some had
to work at something else.

> It is unfortunate, that most likely 99% of the harmonica players out there
> - especially beginners - will not seek out an instructor.  None of these
> players would go buy a sax and learn from Youtube but the relative
> inexpensive price of a harmonica seems to propel the notion that it is
> relatively easy to play.  It is a very easy instrument to play poorly.

The reason that a player ‘may’ be inclined to feel that way is because they ‘may’ have picked it up at an early age because it WAS
cheap. It’s not necessarily because they themselves are cheap. It’s just that they never intended to get that deeply into something
that they may have to toss away it they lost interest. Especially if they were relatively poor, grew up in a basement apartment, and
a dollar really WAS a dollar at the time..at their age.

> I think this contributes to the lack of respect for the harmonica that
> comes from the established musical community.

That’s for sure.

> Good on Mike Rogers for choosing an outstanding instructor and for
> seriously pursuing his musical passion. I look forward to hearing his music.

Mike and Mike? Such a deal. How can we loose.

Broken Shoes Joe