[Harp-L] Jimmy Riddle playing chromatic harmonica on polkas

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Mon Mar 26 16:02:12 EDT 2018

Riddle on his Country Harmonica LP usually alternated between second position diatonic and a chromatic tuned one semitone *below* the key, so that he could swoop up to the target note from one semitone below using slide jabs. Several of the cuts have him switching back and forth in this manner, and that partly explains his choice of keys like Bb (using an A chromatic) even though string players (i.e., his accompanists) aren't generally fond of flat keys.
However, he also played in first position.
Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.comInstructor, Jazzschool Community Music SchoolPresident emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica

 Thanks for enlightening us smo-joe.  Great comments from everyone, but I like those piggies!