[Harp-L] Jimmy Riddle playing chromatic harmonica on polkas

Peter Sheridan jukejelly@xxxxx
Sun Mar 25 16:32:25 EDT 2018

At present I have only one of Jimmy Riddle's LPs, having lost a couple due
to a "thinning of the herd" house cleaning recently. But it's a good one,
"Country Harmonica" on the Cumberland label, which was a division on
Mercury Records in years past. Though a chromatic harp is shown on the
cover, to my ears several of the tunes appear to be played on diatonic, in
both first and second position. And the "eefen -nanny" effect is present on
a couple, which I feel dilutes some of the real indication of Jimmy's
talent. I picked up this LP many years ago when I was looking for anything
I could find that featured harp playing. Jimmy could play fast, and with
good intonation. He was in my estimation a player who was greatly
under-appreciated.

Pete Sheridan
Jukester's Harmonica Supplies
www.petesheridan.net