[Harp-L] About hearing yourself...

Jerry Deall jdeall@xxxxx
Sat Mar 24 10:38:50 EDT 2018

Also remember to 0 your type controls and then add them after you set your volume.

Jerry Deall
SPAH Secretary

-----Original Message-----

From: michaelrubinharmonica at xxxxx
To: reberwein at xxxxx
Cc: harp-l at xxxxx
Sent: 2018-03-24 7:29:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] About hearing yourself...

I suggest the latter.  If you are concerned about feedback, make sure your
body is always between your mic and amp and spend some soundcheck time
figuring out at what volume feedback arrives and lower the volume.  FOr
future gigs, buy a feedback pedal.

The number one issue I've experienced in these situations is you will be
close enough to the harp to hear it acoustically, yet when the band is
crazy loud, the amp volume will sound to you about the level of acoustic
playing.  Therefore, before a song begins, double check your amp is ON with
one quick note.

Place a spy in the audience who knows what you should sound like.  Be
sparing with requests to be turned up, you can only ask 3 times max in a
show before everyone thinks you are a jerk and that third time is pushing
it.

Welcome to the never ending joy of not being satisfied with the sound when
performing.  I would say around 10% of my gigs are satisfying sound wise
and the rest are challenging.

Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com