[Harp-L] Steel reeds

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Wed Jun 6 09:30:20 EDT 2018

I do the same. Scrapers rely on pressure. You have to apply anywhere from inch ounces to foot pounds to get the scraper (which should have a sharp edge like a cabinet scraper) to shave the reed.
Too much pressure is deleterious to the reed. It can bend, warp, or belly the metal. Often causing a realignment of the grain. What you want is an ‘abrader’. Something that actually scrapes but does
so in a multiple striking force of infinitesimally small increments. Therefore opening up the surface so that further strikes have something to work against. I am not what I would consider a technician
but have 60 some years of working with tools. Mostly gun smithing. Conclusion? The Duke of Wail is correct. Btw back up that reed with a shim stock. Break a double edged razor blade in half and
then use both pieces.

smojo