[Harp-L] MHW Events/ HCH 2018 Reflections

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Fri Jun 1 14:19:45 EDT 2018

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 1:22 PM, The Iceman via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> so, it's funny to see how it flipped, regardless of the reasons behind it….

Reasons ‘could be’
1… Original members were from the 20s, 30s.
2… Some were ex vaudeville, stage show, supper club, concert, and yada yada.
3… Diatonic players were busy. Needed the extra income. Young. Possibly with family. Whiteheads nests empty. Nothing else to do. Re-living the good ole days?
4… Hard for some people to come up with $1,119.68 (Min) to attend a convergence.
5… Younger people had actual jobs. And needed them.
6… People would loose gigs by attending.
And on and on infinitum.

> was fight to get diatonic included.

I disagree, Don Les and others played diatonic. They just didn’t play blues. Reason? A lot of the older folks had already LIVED blues. Depression, war, loss of industries, etc. again.
AND don’t the current conventions include a veritable RAFT of diatonic players. A lot of whose expenses are covered? Reason? Davies and Yerxa. Both diatonic friendly. They have
 run the show for many years.

> ...now it's a fight to keep chrom/bass/chord included!

I agree on this point. Young players don’t want to put in the time necessary for bass & (especially) chord. Besides that type of genre is out of fashion. As for chromatic players. Why show
up if you’re not going to get the opportunity to play. You drive for 2 days going, 4 days at the fest, and 2 days returning. And if you’re retired it costs you 1/2 a months pay.  If you fly you
could be looking at over $500. Which I recently experienced trying to get to San Antone. AND they wanted to route me Ft. Myers to Atlanta to St. Louis to Dallas, to San Antone. AND the
 total layovers were 8 1/4 hours. Naah, it’s the players that are dropping out (and dropping dead) that is the result.

> what goes around…..

Am I to assume this to be an antagonistic aura? Like “Serves you right you stingy old timers”. Just curious.

smokey joe (recent loss of eyesight means that I will probably cease to attend..so there’s another reason) bada bing.

message dictated