[Harp-L] Sticking reeds

OWEN EVANS owenpevans@xxxxx
Thu Jan 4 14:11:02 EST 2018

Hi Bob,
Two things come to mind; debris and spit. Both are eliminated with good cleaning techniques. If there is buildup inside the harp, take it apart and gently clean the reed plates and covers with dish soap and water & a soft toothbrush. Please clean non-wooden combs in the same manner. Use peroxide and do not use alcohol - it doesn?t clean or kill germs very well. If the 4?s are not aligned properly, you may need to straighten these out. A reed tool or a tiny adjustable wrench works. Also a quick fix. Check out these instructional videos from a pro.

http://harp.andrewzajac.ca/blog/1?page=9 <http://harp.andrewzajac.ca/blog/1?page=9>

Good luck,
Owen

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 12:14 PM, Bob Loomis via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Any advice on how to avoid jamming reeds? I am playing quite a bit of harp again these days (YAY!) in our band The UnConcord and I often have this problem, especially on the G and C harps (probably because I used them more), usually hole 4 draws, but occasionally others, usually on draws. Am I blowing/drawing too hard? Do they need filing? Other suggestions welcome and TIA.
> Bob LoomisConcord CA

Owen P. Evans
1020 Palm View Drive - #104
Naples, Florida. 34110

239-601-8751

Da blues?ll take ya from hurtin? to healin?.