[Harp-L] Shun Ng and Magic Dick

randy singer randy@xxxxx
Thu Aug 16 08:51:48 EDT 2018

https://m.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Spotlight-Shun-Ng-Magic-Dick-Caffe-Lena-13158308.php

Spotlight: Shun Ng & Magic Dick, Caffe Lena

Clearly this is an unlikely pairing: a 28-year-old raised in Singapore and a 73-year-old whose biggest success came with a band that formed in 1965. What guitarist/singer Shun Ng and harmonica master Richard Salwitz — far better known as Magic Dick from his years with the J. Geils Band — share is an affinity for music that leaves room for collaboration. A 2016 article in the Manchester (N.H) Union Leader said Ng "is known for his frenetic fingerwork, thumb-plucked bass lines, and making every note count. Including the ones he doesn't play," and quoted Salwitz thusly: "The moment I recognized that space, I thought, 'Ah.' I could hear harmonica there in what he was doing." Salwitz got in touch with Ng, who had come to Boston to study at Berklee College of Music, and the two started working together in 2014. They released the album "About Time" to positive reviews from blues and roots music media outlets in 2016. Salwitz is not the only music industry veteran to take a shine to Ng, whose 2013 video for "Get On With It" caught the eye and ear of Quincy Jones, who later featured him at a live showcase. Jones said Ng "belies all stereotypes, all premonitions. I was simply blown away by both his soul and his science --his creativity and his uniqueness is astounding." So come ready to be amazed.

Sent from my iPhone