[Harp-L] Minor Keyed Harps and the Blues

Dennis Michael Montgomery gaulay2@xxxxx
Fri Apr 20 14:44:43 EDT 2018

It's true most blues on a harp are played in second position, but this doesn't necessarily mean the songs are in minor keys. As example: a harmonica in the key of C Major played in second position will in most cases will put you in the key of G Major. If my memory serves correctly playing in the key of D Minor on a C Major harmonica will put you in Third Position. As a rule most blues harmonica players prefer minor keys in third position. This doesn't mean you can't play blues on a minor tuned harp in first position, but it may not give you the sound you're looking for.

Minor tuned harps can be fun and may give you more variety in songs to play, however if you want to play blues put your focus on the standard diatonic harmonica.