[Harp-L] Ode to Joy revisited

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Wed Apr 18 07:25:15 EDT 2018

The sound of the bent note is traditional in blues, folk, etc., so if you
only play those styles the issue doesn't come up.

If you venture outside those realms, not so perfect.

I'm not impressed by arguments that basically say "I would never want to
play anything but (blues, folk, etc.), so why should I care if I can't play
the instrument in a way that works in those genres?"  I play music. I've
spent a lifetime learning the styles and techniques that go with various
types of music.  Whatever I'm playing, I try to play in a way that's
consistent with the style.  I don't play blues licks over bluegrass tunes,
and I'm not satisfied when I make a bluesy moan on the draw 3 hole when I'm
trying to play Beethoven.  Of course some people do that--in my opinion
it's a novelty act, and it wears thin pretty quickly.  The purists on both
sides tend to get uninterested fast.

That's my aesthetic.  Everyone out there is welcome to pursue their own.
So if you want to hit that draw three every time with a tone that sticks
out from its surroundings like a fire alarm in a church, be my guest.

 Regards, Richard Hunter

--