[Harp-L] jazz improv re Ed Coogan

Arthur Jennings arturojennings@xxxxx
Wed Apr 4 11:14:48 EDT 2018

I don't know the post you're referring to, but I'll take a shot at this anyway.

Most melodies, whether precomposed or improvised, are made up of notes from the accompanying chord (i.e., "chord tones") and notes that aren't in  the accompanying chord (i.e., "non-chord tones"). Controlling the ratio of non-chord tones and chord tones and the way non-chord tones resolve to chord tones gives a melody shape and structure. In order to do that, you must know the chord changes and what notes are in each chord.