[Harp-L] Brendan's vibrato

bren@xxxxx bren@xxxxx
Sat Sep 23 05:16:33 EDT 2017

Thanks Robert 😊 It’s always hard describing stuff that happens in your mouth, but I think I use two types of vibrato:

1.	Low octave is generally throat vibrato, the typical type used on blues harps: a repeated ‘gasping’ type of sound in your throat transferred to the harp, mostly on draw notes.
2.	Higher up I use a kind of fast regular bending style. Basically a light bend repeated quickly. That’s why you see my jaw moving a lot. Sometimes I use the ‘jaw-bend vibrato’ low down as well.

For the second type, practice regular light bends slowly and then speed up – that should give the effect.

Half-valving on a diatonic allows you to achieve vibrato on all notes, blow and draw. With an un-valved Richter harp you can’t get real pitch vibrato on 12 of the notes (!), which to me makes the standard blues harp very stiff and un-expressive. Being able to add vibrato on ALL notes is a big part of why I came up with half-valving 37 years ago.

Hope that helps!

Brendan Power

 <http://www.x-reed.com> www.x-reed.com

 <http://www.brendan-power.com/> www.brendan-power.com