[Harp-L] Saxony spring

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Mon Oct 16 19:48:37 EDT 2017

There isn’t a whole lot I CAN say. If the spring you’re replacing has a definite ‘shape’ to it, I would duplicate that shape. So if straight legs, leave the spring replacement straight. If there is a slight bend
duplicate that bend.

Now here’s the oddity. This is solely from me. I like to think of the spring at FULL compression. Then..if the spring end is going through the hole at ANY sort of angle, I will bend the spring leg so that it goes through the hole
PERFECTLY vertical AT full compression. Such as when the slide is activated all the way.  Because I feel it is at that point where the most pressure is put on the spring and that is where an OFF angled spring will put too much pressure on the top & bottom EDGES of the slide hole. And this, in return, will wear the slide hole into an oval due to sawing motion.

Sawing motion? is only a problem when the spring is raw steel or even cadmium plated. A chromed spring does no damage. Damage? unless you use the slide a God awful amount (such as always playing in keys that require a lot of slide movements), a spring should last forever. BUT if a spring is wound against the grain to begin with, it can shear. Leaving you with 2 pieces that look for all the world like fish hooks. There is no way for me to tell if a person has loaded wire into a spring winding machine against the grain unless I use a microscope and can see striations on the wire. Striations are caused by the die. It is possible for a batch of wire to have been wound wrong. And no one would notice.

S.J.