[Harp-L] The Creole Jazz Band fake book version 2.4

philharpn@xxxxx philharpn@xxxxx
Thu Nov 30 17:28:21 EST 2017

The Creole Jazz Band fake book version 2.4 is a collection of pre-1923 jazz/blues tunes that are in the public domain. This means they are copyright free. Anything after 1924 is still under copyright.

The previous version 2.2 had 297 pages.  Version 2.4 has 316 pages. It takes about 30 minutes or more -- depending on how fast your printer is -- to print double-sided copy of the book.

It is FREE for the download. You simply download the pdf and print out the pages. BTW You do have to leave your name and address at the Simply Early Jazz site. If you do a search for the title, you will find other several sites that offer version 1. IT is fine. It is simply not as inclusive at the latest version.

the website:
<https://www.simplyearlyjazz.com/store/c41/Freebies.html>

I have version  2.2 and was just checking in to see if there was a later version.  There is.

Format --What you get:
1. chord names: Dm, A7, F, A7
2. melody lines (music nots)
3. lyrics

Now all I have to do it take my pages to Officemax to get it spiral bound for about $5.

Why it is called Creole Jazz Band I have no idea. These tunes are the standard fare of early Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke and others who recorded up to the early 20s.

SO even if you can't read the notes, it has lyrics and chords so you can do a pretty good job of faking it anyway.

Plus, you can't beat the price and the selection. If you like early, jazz this is a very good collection.

The notation is like lead sheet-- what most harmonica books have about the numbers and arrows. Only one note at a time--how difficult can that be?

Hope this helps.

Phil