[Harp-L] New observation concerning the Circle of Fifths No harp content

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Sat Nov 18 11:34:11 EST 2017

The C major scale is

C D E F G A B C

The fifth note is G

G A B C D E F# G is the G major scale.

The NEW sharp is in the seventh scale degree, or just before the return to
the root.

The fifth note is D.

D E F# G A B C# D
The NEW sharp is in the seventh scale degree or just before the return to
the root.

I have been preaching this forever.

Then I had an observation that was new to me and hopefully it proves useful
to you.

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab is a scale with flats, not sharps.

Eb is the fifth note.

Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb is the Eb major scale.

This scale has one less flat than Ab.  Ab has four flats, Ab, Bb, Db and
Eb.  Eb has three flats, Eb, Ab and Bb.

The difference is the Db.  The Ab scale has a Db, the Eb scale has a D.

You could say that D is the NEW non-flat.

D is in the seventh scale degree of the Eb major scale, or just before the
root.

The fifth note in Eb is Bb.

Bb C D Eb F G A Bb is the Bb major scale.

The NEW non-flat is A, which is in the seventh degree or just before the
return to the root.

Yet another way the Circle of Fifths can help you know the names of the
notes in major scales.
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com