[Harp-L] Evening Harp Thoughts

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Wed May 17 01:01:22 EDT 2017

The midi costs $600.  After 30 years of playing diatonic harp for a living,
you can estimate I've spent over $40,000 on harp and related equipment.  It
is a drop in the bucket for a cool toy.  At every gig I play, people line
up after the show to talk to me about the midi harp.

As for vibrato:

Draw in and say hoo hoo hoo hoo.  Place the tip of the tongue on the floor
of the mouth about a centimeter behind the bottom  gumline and raise the
back of the tongue as high as possible in an arc.  Aim your airflow up and
down.  Don't start on a vibrato, bring it in.  Don't over do it.  Subdivide
the clicks of a metronome by 12,2s,3s,4s. Expect around 4 years of practice
before it becomes nice to listen to.  I am not being snarky, that's about
average.

Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com