[Harp-L] Sugar Blue and compression

Robert Hale robert@xxxxx
Sat May 6 18:18:02 EDT 2017

SUGAR BLUE AND COMPRESSION

Several have contributed correct and valuable comments to this topic. While
a player's own technique is the supreme contributor, I want to speak for
the effect of compression, whether selected as a clean process, or as a
by-product of the tube amp distortion.

Compression keeps each note right up in your face by making every note the
same volume from start to finish. It even can produce a desirable
click/crunch/pop as you cross from one note to the next, depending on the
tube amp settings. This contributes a lot to the sound of both Sugar Blue
and John Popper. So, yes, I introduced compression and a little tube
distortion (tiny!) when I added John Popper's licks to my music. It is PART
of his sound.

When your playing becomes clean and tight, you will enjoy the added result
of compression in some styles. It is NOT a substitute or shortcut to the
sounds of these marvelous performers.

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona
youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL