[Harp-L] Al Smith

Ryan Hartt rhartt1234@xxxxx
Tue Mar 28 21:12:49 EDT 2017

I forgot to include the link with the photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WgS_7zeQs

[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.bHZ2NhKWE51QDOW1RP2MqQEsEZ&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WgS_7zeQs>

Al Smith Orchestra Get Up and Go (Aka Soft N' Easy)<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WgS_7zeQs>
www.youtube.com
Boogie Blues with Jazzy interlude

________________________________
From: Harp-L <harp-l-bounces at xxxxx> on behalf of Ryan Hartt <rhartt1234 at xxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:04 PM
To: Karen Mass; harp-l at xxxxx; lflisboa69 at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Al Smith

Interestingly enough this tune has been on my mind lately.

I first encountered "Get Up & Go" on a compilation called "Juicy Harmonica"

You can hear the song in it's entirety here:

http://alicemp3.ru/al-smith/get-up-go/11757"74<http://alicemp3.ru/al-smith/get-up-go/11757%22748>

I recently came across it again on a 3 CD compilation called "Harmonica Blues Giants" and it inspired me to do a little more digging.

It does strike me as a precursor to "Boogie'n With George". George Smith was fan of the Harmonicats the playing on  "Get Up & Go" is similar to things like "Harmonica Boogie" and other tunes of that ilk. I am aware of Al Smith as a harmonica band style chromatic player, so that seemed to be a possibility.

Here is the Falcon 45 from 1957.
https://www.discogs.com/Al-Smith-One-Two-Cha-Cha-Cha-Get-Up-And-Go/release/9161653

<https://www.discogs.com/Al-Smith-One-Two-Cha-Cha-Cha-Get-Up-And-Go/release/9161653>Falcon was apparently a subsidiary of Vee-Jay.
This video features Al Smith's Falcon Records promo photo, so I would say that eliminates Al Smith of Harmonicats/Hot Shots fame.

That led me to this site:
http://campber.people.clemson.edu/alsmith2.html
This Al Smith was a bass player best known for his work with Jimmy Reed.
<http://campber.people.clemson.edu/alsmith2.html>Even this site is unsure who the harmonica player is but notes since sax player Lucius Washington also played harmonica he is the most likely candidate.

Ryan