[Harp-L] How to Clean Tarnished Reed Plates

Bob Marsolais bob@xxxxx
Sun Mar 26 11:01:20 EDT 2017

Michelle wrote:

"The harp played great of course, but Joe told me that in removing the
corrosion/oxidation from the reeds and reed plates I had unintentionally
made his job more difficult. Why? Because that patina actually acts to
reduce the clearance between reed and plate!

You may have inadvertently made your harp work better. I might have to try
it!"

Very Interesting!  I must say my initial reaction was because of their
appearance.  I think your suggestion of leaving it alone and Mike Wilbur's
suggestion of a non-abrasive, no touch approach of using boric acid sounds
good.  I've used boric acid to remove the crud from leaky lithium ion
batteries and it leaves the chromed contacts looking like new with no
visible evidence of etching.

Bob

---