[Harp-L] Which key ? Bandoneon Sound - Lee Oscar Natural Minor Diatonic

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Sat Mar 25 17:43:45 EDT 2017

Most harmonica players who play tango use chromatic and many of them play octaves to emulate the octave tuning of the bandoneon.

I would not advise getting a cheap chromatic because in most cases you will not get playable quality. However, one Chinese company that is making excellent chromatics is EastTop.

Using diatonic can give problems unless you have excellent bending and perhaps overblow control. Libertango is not a folk song that stays with the harmonic minor scale, and you won't get all the notes you need on a harmonic minor harmonica without bending notes. But if you want to try that, get an A harmonic minor and see if you can make it work

Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica

________________________________
From: Mustafa Umut Sarac <mustafaumutsarac at xxxxx>
To: "harp-l at xxxxx" <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:56 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Which key ? Bandoneon Sound - Lee Oscar Natural Minor Diatonic

Hello there,

After years of swirling in internet like a fool , I returned to my quest to

play tango with harmonica which sounded like an bandoneon.

I dont know nothing about music theory and I cant say which note plays at

the radio.

I want to have a natural minor tuned diatonic harmonica but there are lots

of keys.

Lets say I want to play Liber Tango from Argentina. Which key I should buy ?

Last question , Do I really get bandoneon sound with above Lee Oskar or

should I find a chromatic from china or cheapest one to close the holes

with my tongue.and get octave apart sound.

Lee Oscar goes from 40 dollars and is there good quality non china

chromatic ?

Which is sounds  better,for bandoneon, Oscar or Chromatic ?

Thank you,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul