[Harp-L] Is custom work worth it?

bbqbob917@xxxxx bbqbob917@xxxxx
Sat Mar 18 11:15:43 EDT 2017

Hi,He's telling you the absolute truth when it comes to custom harmonicas and they definitely are NOT equal. Nearly all do a good job with comb sealing and flattening out a comb, but when it comes to the actual reed work, which is the real meat and potatoes, there's a HUGE difference. Another thing to consider is that some customizers totally suck at setups for overblow players, which is a lot more labor intensive and why it always costs more money and at times, turnaround times tends to be longer for that very reason. I've had the pleasure of playing several different custom harps with similar setups and sometimes the differences in a low skilled player may not be noticeable, but in most cases, especially among well skilled players, differences can be quite astounding.

Today's top of the line stock harps comes much closer to the quality of a custom, like the Suzuki Manji, Seydel 1847 and the Hohner Marine Band Crossover, but they're still not quite as good as something from the very best customizers even with harps like those three that I've mentioned.

Sincerely,Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Joe Spiers <harpwrench at xxxxx>
To: harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Is custom work worth it?
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 23:22:12 -0500

All custom work/harmonicas aren't equal in quality, or price. So the answer is that it depends on your expectations, relative to what you buy.

My wait time isn't as long as it used to be, and my reedwork consistently gets the job done. My winter pricing is good through the weekend; if anyone is interested now is a good time to get on the calendar.

Joe Spiers
http://www.spiersharmonicas.com