[Harp-L] All Overbends Are Not Created Equal?

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Fri Mar 17 08:55:28 EDT 2017

When the distance between pitches decreases, the OB/OD focus points become more "defined" and leave less "wiggle room".

Imagine an archery target. If you can hit the CENTER of that bullseye pretty consistently and exact, it really doesn't matter if that bulls eye is large or small, the result is the same.
Many who work on their bend techniques stop when they are in the ball park - it's good enough - I'm within the bullseye. However, mastery comes when you hit the CENTER of that bullseye every time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tin Lizzie <TrackHarpL at xxxxx>
To: Harp-l <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 9:22 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] All Overbends Are Not Created Equal?

I still haven’t played an overblow in public, but I’m inching closer.  Well, millimetering closer.

I do gap my own harps.

6 overblow is increasingly consistent.  7 overdraw is a real bear.  Maybe 4 overblow is a bit easier than 5 overblow?

Does the difference in pitches between the natural blow and draw notes for a given chamber affect the difficulty of playing an overbend?  Is it harder when the natural blow/draw notes are a half step apart rather than a whole step apart  (or more, in the case of 10 overdraw)?

Thanks in advance,
Tin Lizzie