[Harp-L] color coding keys

Leonard Schwartzberg leonard1@xxxxx
Thu Mar 16 19:29:16 EDT 2017

Colour (color) blindness (colour vision deficiency, or CVD) affects approximately 1 in 12 men (8%) and 1 in 200 women in the world (about 4.5% of the entire population), according to www.colourblindawareness.org.  Vern, I think you are absolutely correct in your reasoning.   I especially like the idea of a relief key into the surface.   Perhaps it can be left colorless and the player can either color code it themselves (with nail polish??) or leave it colorless and "feel" the outline of the letter.   Leonard

-----Original Message-----
From: Harp-L [mailto:harp-l-bounces at xxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:54 PM
To: MANFRED WEWERS
Cc: harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] color coding keys

Because it doesn’t help the color-blind isn’t a reason to not help the other 88%.  The color-blind are no worse off with 12 colors than they are with just one.

However, a reason not to do it is that you have 12 products to manufacture, inventory and ship instead of just one.

If you don’t mind selling 12 products, then scan the letter key into the surface in relief or in a contrasting color. This works for anyone who can see at all.

Vern

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 11:26 AM, MANFRED WEWERS <mwewers at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Ten per cent of the male population is color blind. 12 colors can be a problem.
> Manfred

---