[Harp-L] What Key? What Key?

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Tue Mar 14 22:01:50 EDT 2017

With apologies to whichever Funk Brother shouted out "What key? What
key?" when Stevie Wonder started vamping in the middle of Fingertips Pt.
2, I'd like to pose a question to the harmonica community: what is the
most popular key harmonica for working harmonica players?

I'm planning on offering the Harmonicaster in three packages: a basic
package with the unit and one key cassette, an intermediate package with
six keys, and a pro package with 12 keys. What key should I include with
the basic package?

Most harmonica instruction sets for beginners use a C harp but I'm
leaning towards making the standard key A. It seems to me that there are
more blues and rock songs in E than just about any other key and an A
harp is E in 2nd position.

By the way, in addition to working with all 12 standard keys, the
Harmonicaster will work with any of Seydels Session Steel reedplates. We
revised the coverplates for more clearance and they'll now work with all
the standard Seydel reedplates down to low C, and the system is also
compatible with Seydel's orchestra/solo tuned reedplates as well as the
reedplates you can put together with Seydel's custom reedplate configurator.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Ronnie Schreiber
The Electric Harmonica Co. Est. 2017