[Harp-L] Newby here

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Mon Mar 6 09:16:54 EST 2017

Lynn,
Is it a 10 hole harmonica in the key of C?

If so, does 3 draw not sound at all or does it produce a flat sound?

If it does not sound at all something is restricting the reed. Open up the
cover plates. The draw reed is on the bottom of the harp. The lower pitches
are the longer reeds. Look at reed 3 and see if there is a piece of fizz
restricting it. Pull it away.

Whether or not there is a restricting item place your fingernail under the
tip of the reed and plink the reed. Does it make a musical sound?  Whether
or not it does, plink softly 40 times. If at the end of the 40 plinks you
are not hearing a musical sound something is wrong with the reed that can
be fixed with more advanced mechanical work but let's only go there if need
be.

Another option which I would recommend in any case would be to buy a second
C harp. Any harp over $35 should be fine. Do not be surprised if this
solves the problem.

If you are experiencing a lower pitch than you want ( anything lower than
the note B on a free smart phone app tuner) welcome to the club. Unless you
are an unusual beginner this will be your first big humo for learning.
Remember it is pnormal and almost everyone experiences this. Expect 3 to 6
months to work through this issue.   You may get a nice sound today but I
am taking anout consistently nice.

There is a technique in the harmonica world called bending which means to
lower the pitch by altering your embouhure. Because you are a beginner you
have a beginner's embochure and therefore are likely to unintentionally
bend.

The basic physics of bending say if yoi constrict the airflow the note will
go lower in pitch. You therefore need to deconstrict

Lower your jaw.

Lower and flatten your tongue.

Width is the opening of your mouth from cheek to cheek. Keep a narrow
width. Say the hard E sound.

Imagine a balloon in your forehead. Send the air to the forehead.

i hope this helps.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Lynn wemmer <fitwoman56 at xxxxx> wrote:

Thanks, Michelle.  I'll definitely check it out!!