[Harp-L] What first attracted you to harmonica?

Gary Lehmann gnarlyheman@xxxxx
Sat Mar 4 18:18:15 EST 2017

Like Jon, it was the money.
I was lucky enough to play in a band with a fine harmonica player (he was
the drummer), and he gave me advice on simple stuff.
Then, a job opportunity came up and I began playing harp in the rack (I am
primarily a guitar player).
So, yeah, it was the money.
Having said that, let me extol the virtues of the harmonica.
Affordable, portable, plays chords and melody, capable of tones resembling
the human voice.
Having said that, I have come to the conclusion that it's more fun to play
the harmonica than it is to listen to it.
Gary

Oh yeah, the short list of complaints.
Notes are missing on the short harp, requiring the player to create tones
using techniques not originally envisioned by the inventors.
You can't see what you are doing--this does not help you understand how you
are doing what you either like or dislike.
And windsavers on the chromatic stick, due to condensation.
Other than that, it's a fine instrument, and deserves more players.