[Harp-L] Bass harmonica on stage

BluzeHarp@xxxxx BluzeHarp@xxxxx
Sat Jun 24 18:28:49 EDT 2017

Very good advice from George and Michael on this topic.  I would  add that
the small crunchy Fender amp would NOT be a good match for a bass
harmonica.  Use a dedicated bass amp or go through the PA.  Lower  the volume on the
bass mic and then accentuate the low bass  frequencies via eq.  If need be,
ask for more of YOU in the monitor  when playing the bass.  I've been riding
herd on the sound crew  at the SPAH convention for the last six years, this
advice is what has  come to me through people such as Tom Stryker, the Sgro
Bros, George  Miklas and others who have spent decades working with bass
harmonicas...  it works!

Nearly always better to CUT the eq on higher  pitched instruments and
vocals in order to bring out the  bass, than to ADD much boost above the center
line of the eq.   There are exceptions, but in tried-and-true 'mixing 101'
terms,  boosting ANY frequencies above the center line will often create  more
problems than it solves.  It is called a 'mix' for good reason, better  to
attain the best overall balance than to optimize any one instrument or
vocalist and then try to force the rest to fit in.  I something  needs more,
pull the others down rather than boost.  Again, there are  exceptions, but
you'll find most professional audio engineers to be in  agreement with this.

Another option would be to use a 'chest mic', either wired or  wireless,
but you'll need to be aware of where you stand, so the mic  doesn't point into
the mains or monitors and create feedback  issues.  I think George could
add a bit more in regard to chest  mic's.

Christopher Richards,
www. harmonicaplanet.com
Staging & Production - SPAH
Producer - International Blues Blowoff

In a message dated 6/24/2017 9:07:59 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,