[Harp-L] Re. Made in China

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Mon Jun 19 15:08:37 EDT 2017

> On Jun 19, 2017, at 12:37 PM, Brendan Power <bren at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Steve Baker has definitively replied to the main query about where the
> Special 20 and other Hohner models are made, but it's interesting to read
> the comments on this topic on the list, and others sent to me privately. The
> point of my post about "Who cares where something is made as long as it's
> good?" was to offset a common prejudice against Chinese-made products that I
> think is uninformed and out of date. However, it persists, as evinced by
> this off-list message to me (naming no names):

I’m not so sure there is a prejudice against Chinese products nor the Chinese. As I wrote you off list:
Some people are tired of being deluged with Chinese products. I also told you that when the wife and
I go to other countries, we spend a lot of time in their stores. Europeans seem to help their own.

I suspect that you are of some means to begin to travel in the first place, and now that you are an icon
in the harmonica world, and travel the entire planet, I suspect that you spend more time in airports than
you do in stores or watching the local scene.

We found that in Europe almost everything IN Europe if FROM Europe. Not true in the U.S. Most everything
here was made in China. We (as a infinitesimally small entity) do not blame China. And hold no prejudice.
We DO blame U.S. industrialists, whom, in their unbridled greed, will do ANYthing to feather their nests with
cash. That’s why there are more billionaires here than the rest of the world comBINED.

They do not want to pay pensions, benefits, medical coverage, nor cover injuries. They do not care about
the American worker. They will ship ANYthing overseas to that end. As soon as they get large enough, they
establish themselves in countries where the wages, taxes, and other expenses are lower. Even if it means
shipping the products back to the U.S. Which is why the last election was what it was. ‘Workerlash'

Modernizing factories: I know first hand (from Pittsburgh Pa.) that industries did NOT modernize but pocketed
the money instead. The machinery went antiquated and obsolete, while the U.S. pours billions into other
countries.

Economy: The u.s. is rated #13 in the world. Even this is a bogus number. They take the GNP of a country and
divide it by the population. This gives a figure of $57,293.oo PER CAPITA. This is a bunch of BS. When you
check the average wage withIN the U.S., the figure is more like half that per capita.

After WWII and the disappearance of 100,ooo,ooo people, a lot of people never returned to work. So, those
pensions or benefits were lost. Saving those economies billions in monies that would have been paid out
because people had worked for them. The U.S. had most men return and so today we have several levels
of pensions to deal with. And the U.S. industries don’t like to pay these benefits.

sm0joe  (whom has lived Vienna, Trieste, Naples, Paris).